First, remove the foreign matter in the atomizing core. If it is clean, use a paper clip to adjust the position of the coil in the atomizing core. If the wires are disconnected, it is necessary to weld or replace the equipment. The cigarette holder, or atomizer, is located at the top of the e-cigarette, and it can be removed by rotating it anticlockwise. And then you see the atomizing core with the coil. Remove it in the same way, do not move the coil.
Circuit problem is the common cause of e-cigarette failure. Before throwing it away, try several simple maintenance methods. First, remove all foreign matter from the atomizing core. If the atomizing core looks clean, use a paper clip to adjust the position of the coil in the atomizing core. If the wires are disconnected, the only solution is to weld or replace the equipment.
Clean the wires
1. Screw off the atomizing core of the e-cigarette. The cigarette holder, or atomizer, is located at the top of the e-cigarette. Turn it counter clockwise and remove it. And then you see the atomizing core with the coil. Remove it in the same way, do not move the coil.
Preheat the e-cigarette to help loosen the residue. However, when dismantling, turn off the e-cigarette and touch it with your hand after it cools down.
2. Clean the atomizing core. Put the atomizing core to the opening of the garbage bag. Knock gently on the palm of your hand to remove loose foreign bodies. Use a small cleaning brush to clean the edge of the atomizing core.
Many e-cigarettes come with cleaning brushes. You can usually buy a replacement cleaning brush at the place where e-cigarettes are sold.
3. Gently rub isopropanol onto the coil to remove wax and oil. Go to the grocery store or pharmacy and buy a bottle of isopropanol. Dip a little with a cotton swab, but do not soak it, so as to avoid isopropanol dripping into other parts of the e-cigarette. If the coil and atomizing core are blackened or covered by foreign matters, wipe them with cotton swabs.
Be careful when touching the coil. That wire is the most vulnerable part of e-cigarette, and it is also the most common cause of e-cigarette failure.
Do not clean the atomizing core with water. There are a lot of wires in it. Water will short it. You can clean the nozzle with water.
4. Reassemble the e-cigarette for testing. If you haven’t replaced the wires recently, the heating element should look clean and function normally. Put the atomizing core back on the e-cigarette and turn on the switch. The light of e-cigarette should be on and produce smoke normally.
If the e-cigarette doesn’t smoke normally, you may need to clean the wires more thoroughly, or the wires may be misplaced.
5. Use a magnet to suck away the pieces of wire. When you install the wires yourself, debris may fall into the atomizer core. Go to a home improvement store or hardware store to buy a small magnet. Move the magnet around the atomizing core and coil to suck out debris that may cause short circuit. Take them off the magnets, throw them away, and test the e-cigarettes.
1. Take apart the e-cigarette and look inside the atomizing core. Screw the nozzle off the e-cigarette again. Continue to remove the various parts until you can see the coil inside the atomizing core. It’s next to the bottom half of the e-cigarette with the battery.
Before touching the e-cigarette, make sure the temperature is not too high. When the coil needs to be adjusted, its temperature is likely not to rise. If you feel the coil is heating, don’t touch it.
2. Check that the screws are in place. The coil is connected with the atomizer through two screws. A screw is located at the bottom of the coil to secure the coil above the battery. Another screw is at the top to fix the coil on the inner wall of the atomizer.
If the screw is missing, the coil may deviate from its normal position. Take the e-cigarette to the e-cigarette store and buy replacement screws.
3. Adjust the screw to restore the circuit. The screws sometimes come loose, especially after adjusting the coil. If possible, screw out the atomizing core and check it. Put a small screwdriver or toothpick into it and rotate it gently. Turn clockwise to tighten the screw.
Do not tighten the screw too tightly, otherwise the coil will not heat up. When screwing, rotate 90 degrees each time, turn on the power while screwing, and test whether the coil works.
4. Straighten the paper clip and use it as an adjusting tool. Installation of heating coil is a common cause of short circuit. To reach into the narrow space of the atomizer and push the wire to the right position, the paper clip is a very suitable tool. Straighten the paper clip so that the end bends slightly to become a hook.
5. Pull the wire away from the inner wall of the atomizer. The wires should be located inside the nebulizer. Put the paper clip into the atomizer and push the coil with the hook end. Only the end of the coil fixed with screws should contact the inner wall of the atomizer.
Remember to turn off the power before pushing the coil with a paper clip. Contact between the two metals can permanently damage the e-cigarette.
6. Continue to adjust and test the e-cigarette. Pull out the paper clip and turn on the e-cigarette. If it still doesn’t work, use the paper clip again to adjust. Raise the coil a little bit and push it down slightly to center it over the bottom screw. Push it aside and align it with the top screw and the inner wall of the atomizer. Then test the e-cigarette again. After the coil is heated normally, install the electronic cigarette again.
Unfortunately, there is no very precise standard for calibration coils. The coil is very thin, sometimes it takes a little luck to find the right position.
The wires are also easily dislocated. E-cigarette falling to the ground, or too hard impact, will lead to wire dislocation.
7. If the e-cigarette still does not work, replace the heating element. Your first choice is to bring e-cigarettes to professional e-cigarette stores. Sometimes, experienced professionals have a way to fix it. If there is no way to repair, replace an e-cigarette or buy a new heating coil. It usually costs less to ask a professional to repair the old e-cigarette than to replace the parts, and the purchase of new heating elements can save you the money to buy the whole new e-cigarette.
When purchasing replacement parts, recognize the brand of e-cigarette and don’t buy it wrong. It’s usually the entire heating element that needs to be replaced, so all you have to do is screw out the old one by hand and install the new one.
1. Work in a well ventilated environment. Welding needs to melt the metal, do not inhale the generated smoke into the body. Open all the doors and windows around. Let the air in the working area circulate.
2. Wear goggles to protect your eyes. When welding, a good pair of polycarbonate glasses is essential. You may not be able to wear gloves because you need to fiddle with small wires. When stopping welding, clamp the wire with tweezers and put the high temperature soldering iron on the bracket.
Don’t put the high temperature soldering iron directly on the worktable.
3. Screw off the electronic cigarette components. Rotate the parts counter clockwise, remove them and put them aside one by one to avoid forgetting the method when reassembling. The lower part of the e-cigarette is the battery. The upper part connects the battery to the heating element or coil. Pay attention to the wiring between the battery and the heating element.
Again, make sure that the temperature of the e-cigarette is not too high before touching the heating element. If the wire is broken, the e-cigarette will not heat at all.
4. Screw wires of the same color together. You should be able to see the red and black wires. Connect the worn ends of each wire together. Let them intertwine and become a wire again. The joint should not be too thick, otherwise it will not fit in.
If you need to expose more wires, use wire strippers or art knives to remove part of the insulation. You can also rub the exposed wires to make them spread and twist together more easily.
The red wire connects the battery and the heating element. The black wire is the ground wire, which connects the battery and the outside of the atomizer.
5. Heat the soldering iron and solder a little bit. First, go to the home improvement shop and buy a roll of solder wire. Take it apart and put the end of the solder wire near the wire you want to solder. Turn on the electric iron and let it heat for one minute. Use the tip of the iron to touch the end of the solder wire.
6. Weld wires of the same color together. Connect wires of the same color. With the other hand, hold the iron over the exposed part of the wire. Gently touch the exposed part with a soldering iron to make the solder fall off. Get more solder from the solder line and continue welding until the exposed wire is connected.
Keep moving the iron. Don’t let it touch the exposed wire for a long time, otherwise the wire may be melted by it. Apply solder with tip.
7. Wrap the weld as it cools down. The weld starts to cool immediately and solidifies after a few minutes. To wrap the joint, it’s best to use shrink sleeves that are sold in home furnishing stores. Wrap it around the joint, then heat it slightly to allow it to contract. You can use a hair dryer when heating, which is safer. You can also use matches or soldering iron, but be careful.
You can also wrap the joint with tape.
8. Test the electronic cigarette. Re install the various parts of the e-cigarette and put the wires back to their original positions. Turn on the e-cigarette. If it has been welded, the e-cigarette should work normally. If the function of the e-cigarette does not return to normal, send it back to the e-cigarette store for professional maintenance, or simply buy a new one.
The connection of the wires may be loose. This kind of problem is difficult to fix at home, if you can’t find the terminal of the wire, it will be more difficult. Let professionals carry out maintenance.
Store the e-cigarette in a safe place and handle it gently to prevent the coil from loosening.